Thursday, January 1, 2009

Bicycle Maintenance and Repair

When I was a kid, about ten years old, I started to get into bicycle maintenance and repair with a close friend, Stacy Wills. I had taken an interest a few years earlier when my cousin was working on bicycles. I watched him take them apart and put them back together just to learn. He was told to do this by my Uncle, explaining that merely taking the bikes apart piece by piece and remembering how they go back together, one could learn how to fix bicycles. Well, I followed in his footsteps because by the time I was done, I could tear down and rebuild almost any bicycle around. In fact, my friend, Stacy, had a bright idea to find old bicycles that people had disposed of and take off all the good parts to make other bicycles. So we went about collecting old discarded bicycles and bought other bicycles that people did not want any longer. We set up shop in an old garage that was out back of Stacy's house and we both worked together fixing up bicycles and then selling them. We had quite a collection of old bicycles that were refurbished and ready to sell. Finally one day Stacy's Dad told him that we could no longer do the bicycle venture so we sold off all the bicycles. My friend and I talk about that to this day and wonder what would have become of us if we would have continued refurbishing bicycles. My sister even took note and has mentioned it a time or two in the past several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment