Sunday, January 4, 2009

Joining the Military

I came from a family of four brothers and three sisters and my father worked for the railroad as a trackman, foreman, and finally as a welder's helper just before he retired. My mother stayed at home and took care of all us kids until later in life when my father retired and then she took on some light house keeping for a neighbor. There was not much money for them to send their kids through college and I had not thought about financial aid at the time. All of my brothers before me joined the military and it just seemed like the right thing to do. I could get my college paid for via GI Bill so I signed up to join the Air Force. The rest of my family, including my father were Navy. I had one older brother who joined the Army and I wanted to be different, so I joined the Air Force.

No comments:

Post a Comment