Thursday, January 1, 2009

Electronic Maintenance and Repair

Electronics peaked my interest. I was amazed at what could be done with electronics and was bound and determined to learn how to work on and fix electronic gadgets. I started by playing around with electrical wiring, setting up an extension cord with a switch I could use to turn off/on my TV from my bed. This was before remotes were popular and as abundant as they are now. I moved on to working on car stereos, speakers, and fixing old radios, TVs. I eventually wired my parents' house with speakers to play music throughout the living areas of the house from one radio. My mother was amazed when she found out that I could also record back from the speaker into my tape recorder which prompted her to remove the speaker wire from their clock radio in their bedroom. I never thought of recording them while they were in their bedroom. Who wants to hear their parents in their bedroom anyway?

I took an old stereo that someone was getting ready to throw out because it would only play audio on one side and fixed it. I examined the circuitry to find a loose wire and resoldered it. That was a nice stereo.

My interest in electronics inspired me to play around with and learn a lot of things that I may not have learned if I had not been as curious and intrigued as I was. I believe this interest is what helped me score so high in electronics on the military tests I had taken when I joined the Air Force.

No comments:

Post a Comment